FORMS & INFO
In 2017/18 there are about 90 graduate students registered in the Department of Biology, 50 in the MSc program and 40 in the PhD program. Every professor in the department supervises graduate students.
The forms available on this page are in pdf or doc format. Some of the pdf forms can be filled in using Acrobat, Acrobat Reader or Apple Preview, etc. Or you can print out the form and fill it in by hand, if you prefer. If you use Acrobat Reader to fill in a form you will be able to print it but not save it. You can only save filled in forms using Acrobat Pro or Preview.
Selecting the name of a form will either open it in your browser or download it to your hard drive.
- 2017 Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Supervision
- several forms at the School of Graduate Studies forms
- 2017-18 Internal Funding application:
- Graduate Dean's Travel Grant for Doctoral Field Research
- Financial and Supervisory Statement form
- Supervisory Committee Meeting form
- Time Limit Extension Request form
- TA Application form 2017 - 2018
- Conference Travel Application and Claim Forms
- Tri-Council Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Master's level competition see link below under Scholarship
- Doctoral level competitions see link below under Scholarship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship: Deadline: October 12, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. EST
- 2018-19 CIHR Doctoral Research Awards-Deadline: October 3, 2017, by 4:00 p.m. EST
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Deadline: March 1, 2018
Thesis Defence forms
- MSc Oral Thesis Examination form
- PhD Oral Thesis Examination form
- PhD Application for Approval of External Examiner form
- PhD Thesis Proposal Defence (Qualifying Exam) form
- Degree Completion Information etc.
- Guidelines, complete instruction, and the online application form for the 2018-2019 NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS) and Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) Doctoral competitions are now available at the NSERC website:
- Guidelines and complete instructions for the 2018-2019 Canada Graduate Scholarships –Master’s (CGS M) competition are now available from this website:
- The online Canadian Common CV (CCV) and the online “Research Portal” application for the 2018-2019 CGS M competition are now available from this website:
- Combined BScH/MSc (Biology) information for undergraduates
- SGS Embedded Counsellor - Access Counselling Services at Queen's
- Minimum Financial Support for 2017-18:
- Guide to Graduate Supervision: a PDF from the grad school
- Biology Guide to Thesis Writing: This is a very useful document
- Thesis defences: general format and some tips
- Transferring from MSc to PhD — Pros and Cons
- Thesis Submission Checklists [for MSc] [for PhD]
- Biology Thesis Submission Guidelines: some suggestions to save paper, etc.
- MSc Degree Level Expectations
- PhD Degree Level Expectations
- PhD Program Milestones