Helping Others - 

As a student, staff or faculty member, you may see others in facing challenging situations that are in need of assistance. Queen's has developed many resources that are useful in providing guidance on how you can help. The 'Green' and 'Purple' sheets referred to below, provide you with guidance and resources on how to identify and respond to students requiring help. The student wellness site provides a variety of resources to students. 

If you are aware of harassment or discrimination on campus please refer to the reporting procedure and/or reach out to the HREO. If you are facing a life-threatening emergency, please dial 911. For emergency responses on campus that are not life threatening, please contact Queen’s security

Getting Help in Serious Situations

Some students will encounter serious challenges during their undergraduate experience. Queen's provides a number of places to turn for both urgent situations and for those instances where your personal or academic situation is affecting your ability to fulfill course obligations. Some of the key point-contacts are listed below.

General Support Services for Students: 

a) Student Wellness Services - supports available for personal, academic and social health of students with a range of programs and services (Emergency, Professional Health and Wellness; accommodations; after-hour supports; Extenuating circumstances; Health Insurance). For accommodations you will find the QSAS office this on this website. 

b) Departmental resources –  If you are experiencing issues related to your academics please refer to the list below. 

For undergraduates: Rachel Batson in the Undergraduate Office (Room 3109C; would be your first point of contact. 

For graduate students: Please see the Biology Guild to Graduate Studies and resources therein for contacts. If in doubt, please reach out to the Graduate Assistant (Room 3109B, Biosciences; and they will be able to help. 

Need Counseling/Advice 

a) Reach out to your the undergraduate or graduate assistants for issues related to academics (email contacts above). 

b) Please visit the I-EDIAA (Biology) link if you would like information/resources on issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion. 

c) If you issue is more complex/confidential and departmental in nature, please reach out to your supervisor if you are a graduate student or undergraduate thesis student, or view the resources below. The graduate and undergraduate assistants will be able refer you to the correct people for advice. There are a number of us that may be able to help (Departmental Manager (D. Davis), Undergraduate Chair (P. Grogan), the Graduate Coordinator (V. Friesen), the Chair of our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (S. Arnott), or the Department Head (B. Cumming). 

d) Advising counseling resources at the SGPSA for graduate students

c) Drop-in and advising services for international students through QUIC

d) Good2Talk, 24/7, at 1-866-925-5454 or text GOOD2TALKON to 686868; 

e)  The Queen’s Cross-Cultural Counsellor.

f) The Queen’s Chaplain who offers multi-faith, non-judgmental support for religious, spiritual, personal, and financial problems, concerns, or crises. 

g) The Yellow House Student Centre for Equity and Inclusion provides comfortable and accountable spaces and resources for queer, trans, Black, Indigenous and/or People of Colour (QTBIPoC)-identifying students

Support for Faculty and Staff

a) Please talk to your supervisor.

b) The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).

c) Teaching in Times of Crisis (via CTL)

d) Ways to assist others (Gold Folder) and resources above.